Jesus suffering fuck. I’m already seeing folks declaring Comrade Trump is going to be re-elected because of AG Bill Barr’s summary of the Mueller report.
Take a breath, people. Remember who Bill Barr is. Last year he was a lawyer with Kirkland & Ellis (the firm that also employed Brett Kavanaugh, Robert Bork, Ken Starr, and several lawyers now serving in the Trump administration). Last June Barr wrote an unsolicited 19 page memo to Rod Rosenstein (who oversaw the Mueller investigation) arguing that Mueller’s approach to investigation possible obstruction of justice by Trump was ‘fatally misconceived’ and ‘legally insupportable.’ He said Mueller shouldn’t even be allowed to interview Comrade Trump.
And hey, what a surprise, Trump picked Bill Barr to be his new Attorney General. So having spent part of his weekend reading the report of Mueller’s two-year investigation, Barr concluded he was right last June. He agreed with himself; no obstruction of justice. In other words, Bill Barr did the job he was hired to do: he protected Trump.
Republicans toss confetti, set off fireworks, wear party hats. Democrats weep, rend their garments, cast themselves into the Pit of Despair. And the news media, bless their simple little hearts, repeat that narrative and cast it into the cement blocks Democrats will use to drown themselves.
I totally understand why folks are disheartened and glum. We have a corrupt president supported by corrupt administrators put in place by corrupt senators. But remember this: we haven’t even seen the actual Mueller report yet. We don’t know what it says. But we know this:
- in the course of the Mueller investigation, grand juries and federal judges approved 2,800 subpoenas, 500 search warrants, and 50 pen registers to gather evidence, which we haven’t seen.
- that evidence resulted in 199 criminal charges against 34 individuals and three companies.
- seven of those individuals were either members of Trump’s presidential campaign team or closely associated with Trump’s campaign — all of whom have either pled guilty, gone to prison, or are still awaiting trial.
- at least six other individuals were referred to career prosecutors in the DoJ on related criminal matters; there may be other referrals that haven’t been made public.
Those facts would end any other administration. But there are other investigations still progressing out there. Comrade Trump may have dodged this particular bullet (and ‘may‘ is the operative term), but he’s still facing a whole lot of trouble.
For example, there’s the New York Attorney General’s Office, which is investigating:
- allegations of illegal operations by the Donald J. Trump Foundation
- allegations of tax fraud by the Trump family and the Trump Organization
- allegations of tax evasion by the Trump family and the Trump Organization
And there’s the US Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia, which is investigating:
- irregular Political Action Committee activity by the Trump campaign and by Rebuild America
- matters relating to Russian intelligence operative Maria Butina and her interactions with the National Rifle Association
- allegations of violations of the Emoluments Clause of the US Constitution by Comrade Trump and the Trump Organization
- irregular spending by the Trump Inaugural Committee
And there’s the US Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia, which is investigating:
- the Russian disinformation campaigns
- improper Turkish influence in the Trump campaign and administration
And, of course, there’s the US Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York, which is investigating:
- various violations of campaign finance laws
- unregistered foreign lobbying
So even though Comrade Trump and his fluffers are celebrating the end of one investigation, there’s still a metric ton of ugly fetid shit hanging over his head. Some of it’s going to land on him. He may survive his first term, but he’s going to have a hard time convincing anybody but his most loyal supporters that Trump 2020: Never Indicted! is a winning campaign slogan.